Monday 18 July 2011

Ankle Rankle

   I tried to spend as much time as possible last week trying to get in as many easy/steady miles in as possible with no hard running or speed work so as not to aggravate my ankle problem. I managed a few 7 mile runs to work but due to my ankle giving me grief I had to get a lift back home after work and with rest days fitted in between I managed yet another feeble week of training. I had no choice but to miss the Burton Leonard 10k on  Sunday which was very depressing to say the least especially as I had one hell of a race the year before against Jim Bulman. Instead I went for a steady 10 miler which turned out to be very unpleasant to say the least, first of all it was chucking it down and my waterproof jacket has lost it's waterproofness and then with only 4 miles completed my ankle pain started to get worse and then finally it had the cheek to stop raining when I got back home.
   My dilemma now is whether to try a few more easy runs to work and back and hope I don't aggravate the ankle or  to take the week off from running and give the ankle some rest, or should I take the fifty fifty option a few rest days followed with some easy runs.
  The ankle is absolutely fine with day to day stuff and walking around so it can't be anything too serious so at least there's hope yet. It would be good to be back upto speed for the back end of the year and that's what I will be aiming for now.
 

1 comment:

GaryB said...

You could try taking a few weeks away from running and try some high intensity bike and x-trainer workouts if they don't cause any ankle pain. I think it would be well worth your time to seek the advice and diagnosis of a sports physio. It's taken me 20 odd years to realize that sometimes a change is as good as a rest and keeping good c.v. fitness in what ever way you can and replicating as many of your quality sessions as you can will surprise you how little actual running fitness you will lose and in some cases you can actually improve certain aspects of your running such as glut and quad strength, lactic tolerance and legs turnover speed then when your ankle is fit to run on, a few pacific sessions designed to bring/lengthen your running gait back to pre-injury status and you will be flying again in no time.

Garybr