Sunday 21 October 2007

Cross Cowntry Racing by Garrrry Devine-Hall ?

The Barnard Castle Cross Country race went quite well in the end. On Thursday i took up the offer from work for a free flu jab. After being brought up on Owt for Nowt, i just couldn't say no. I was a bit concerned how this would effect my training/racing. I would say it does have a very small effect in that it felt like the very early stages of a cold where i get a tight chest and a slight chest pain. But other than that everything was fine. I'm really getting into this starting off steadily and not sprinting off like a maniac. The last cross country race i set off steady and then attacked hard , where this time i set off steadily and gradually picked up the pace to race speed. Another weapon at my disposal , which needs to be used more often. Anyway i managed to win the cross country by some margin , i was hoping to see some of the other big names there so i could have some one to chase and punish myself. But i'm more than happy to take another win.
My second race of the day began almost straight after. Getting to the Blacksheep Brewery awards on time at Masham. A funny thing happened going down the A1 , i could see a blue Subaru Impreza sports car racing up behind me, so i pulled into the inner lane only to see some 70 year old bloke stick his foot down and race off into the distance . The oldest boy racer i have ever seen. He even had a baby on board sticker in the rear windscreen. I made it to the awards on time with a couple of seconds to spare , stinking of cow dung probably after flying through loads of it in the cross country race. Every time i needed to go round a back marker a cow pat was waiting for me. I tried not to back splash the back markers to much , honest.
Anyway the awards went well , perfectly organised again by Tony Mawson and his wife, and i wish i could of stopped for the grub as well. As i seem to change my mind every other day, i left saying i would be back to defend my title. Even though last time i said i was concentrating on marathon training.
The dog was non to pleased with its measly walk round the cross country course and later in the evening when she had to wait in the car when we went to the pub for dinner. But the dog was over the moon when we came out of the pub carrying a doggy bag of steak and fish. Non of it touched the sides but she enjoyed it anyway.
Back to training and no racing until the GuyFawkes 10 mile road race.
Can you believe Athletics weekly calling me G.Devine. And i thought i had problems spelling.
My name and cross country racing don't mix. I even have a Trophy with NYSD Cross Country Champion 2006 G.Hall. (Whats that all about). Oh and this year I'm Garry as well. Why stop at two r's four would look even better , Garrrry. Yeh. I like that.

No comments: