Wednesday 24 February 2016

For as long as possible.

   The need for speed.  It was only two and half weeks ago that I did my last speed training session of running at a set speed for as long as possible then with a good eight minutes jog recovery with three sets to complete the session. The question is how long is long as possible? Is it one minute longer than what you think enough is enough or maybe its another minute after that. My aim was to keep in line with 2014s comeback. Eight minutes at 18kmh then four minutes and ending with three minutes, that's what my dairy says I should be capable of but should of, could of and actual can sometimes be totally  different. The first set I could only manage seven minutes which was not too bad considering the effort I put in just to get to four minutes. The second set I convinced myself that I really needed to do five minutes to pull back that lost  minute from the first set,  determination and the will to dig really deep in to my pain barrier. Obviously long as possible on the first set was not long as possible. The final set of three minutes, surely I could do an extra minute to flip this session on its head and beta 2014s comeback data.  Wrong, my legs turned to stone and my lungs had a puncture well that's what it felt like anyway so I had to settle for the three minutes. This was an improvement on the session I did two and half weeks ago and that was at 17.4kmh.
     I have a 5k  pace testing session penciled in for Saturday which is just about the same as what I have done today. I run at a set speed which is a bit quicker than that I ran my last 5k  and see if I can manage the full distance. I suppose the only reason for me doing it is because I am in constant need of proof that I am improving.
    The Parkrun I did on Saturday did me a world of good as I am working on all fronts to make sure that I improve for my next attempt in a couple of weeks time. I'm not that fussed with the time as I'm more concerned with beating people, I know I won't be satisfied until I have won it or I suppose I should say to be the first finisher. Stuff that,  winner sounds miles better. Nothing like getting carried away, better focus on the top five for starters.
 

No comments: