Saturday 16 April 2016

Work overload.

 I reckon I was capable of a sub 18 minute 5k but that was just before the Easter weekend and since then I have not done much training and my weight loss program took a back seat as well. I had been busy at work for weeks on end and with the all the running I started to feel totally knackered so I decided I had better take some time out. After a 10 days of doing next to nothing whilst  on holiday I managed to get a couple of easy 5 mile runs in just before the Hartlepool Marina 5 mile race. My running doesn't take kindly to taking days off never mind nearly two weeks so I had no intentions of doing anything that was worth talking about. My plan was to enjoy the race and try to get round in thirty minutes which I achieved on both accounts. 30 minutes 5 seconds which was quicker than I had expected in all honesty. It was good to get back racing though.
   Work was still hectic so my training had to take a step back once again besides I just couldn't get motivated to get out running, I was still keen to race but not to train. I put in an interval training session last weekend but that was a waste of time and ended in total failure. Which brings me to this week were I have clocked a meagre 24 miles and that includes today's 5k parkrun.
    I wasn't a big fan of the parkrun world when it all started and when I was at my best I couldn't see much point in wasting valuable energy running a local 5k fun run. I almost did one back in 2010 after being talked into it by a friend but decided not to in the end, I can now confirm that I was wrong and should of ran them. I could witter on for no end about how good they are but it is much easier just to say "go and find out for yourself " you will not be disappointed. My running might not be going so well recently but that was soon overlooked as I had a quick catch up with an old rival and friend Mike Appleton of Ripon Runners whilst warming up. And then meeting old club team mate and long time not seen for ages friend Cameron Choules. Its not all about the running, oh how I have changed.  Back to the 5k and my pre race plan was to try and crack eighteen minutes, more importantly beat any close rivals and guesstimated that I would get round in 18 minutes 20 seconds. That bleeding hurt, 18 mins 13 seconds. I managed to beat some rivals and also got beat by a few, missed out on sub 18 no surprise there but managed to beat my guesstimation time. All in all an excellent morning if I do say so myself.
   I really need to get a grip of this little fat bloke inside me if I'm ever going to crack 18 minutes never mind 16 minutes. I will leave the 16 minute thing well alone until I get back to some decent training. For the time being I'm just entering races and seeing how it goes, hopefully they will get less painfull the more I do.

No comments: