Sunday 4 November 2007

Back to full Health ready for that Guy Fawkes.

Well what a week. After getting rid of a tight chest problem at the very start of the week , i then had heavy legs until Friday , it felt like i had over trained or something. As soon as i tried to exercise i could feel my legs struggling straight away, only thing i can put it down to was that flu jab. The club time trial ended up not so bad i was 13 seconds adrift of my best time over the 2.2 mile course but with the leg problem i was quite pleased with the time. By Friday i was more or less back to full health and ready for the Guy Fawkes 10 mile.
This Guy Fawkes race is certainly going from strength to strength with over a thousand runners today. Well organised and very well marshalled you can't ask for much more besides a flatter course, or is that the attraction. I started off at a good pace but i didn't have the will power to go into the serious pain zone i usually go into. Half way round i thought i could do a 53.30 and even upto the 8 and 9 mile mark i was sure to be home in well under 54 minutes. But some how i slowed to finish in 54.10. I never look behind me in a race but i do listen for tell tale signs on how far a runner is behind me. I was pretty sure a runner wasn't far behind and catching me, but with me thinking i'm going for 53.30 round this tough hilly course then they are in for a very good time if they beat me. Especially as the record is around 52.30 set by Thomas Abyu who has just run a marathon in 2 hours 10 minutes. Anyway i stayed in front and Cameron Brooks from Knavesmire Harriers was a close second followed by Andy Chadfield from Billingham Marsh House n third. A goody bag at the finish was exactly that. With enough chocolate to keep an Asda store in stock for a year. As runners we must look too thin and they thought they would help in getting us up to the national average weight. Up and running vouchers for my prize, so some more running kit will do nicely. Thirsk and Sowerby Harriers also picked up first team award.(Richard Hall, Dusan svoboda and myself) So a nice thermal top each should come in handy in the near future.
The dog managed a run around the parking area, but says she will be looking forward to a run next weekend around Kilburn woods.
Whilst visiting my parents, i woke on the Sunday morning to pouring rain and my wife said you must be mad to go out in that to which i agreed. I went downstairs and my mother said "i thought you were going for a run" , i replied " it's chucking it down", "don't be so bloody soft and get gone". Just the kick up the backside i needed. Warriors don't show any weakness and i have waterproof skin so out i went.

No comments: