Sunday 21 September 2008

Third Fifth

Middlesbrough 10k - 3000 runners turned up for this years event, after finishing 5th on my last two attempts around this race another 5th was looking like a tough challenge. As usual i set off with the intention of giving myself a chance of winning by going with the front runners, but the pace was too fast for me and after a mile i lost contact with the leading four runners. Not long after young Thompson from New Marske caught me back up and took my 5th spot, i wasn't going to give this position up easily and i was prepared to suffer badly if need be to regain that 5th place. Thompson led upto the 1/2 way point then i attacked to try to open a small gap, which i managed then it was just a case of pressing on for the last 4km to the finish, i even thought i was starting to gain some ground on two runners in front of me but not by much. I tried hard over the last two kilometres and probably couldn't of gone any quicker, and took my 5th place for the third time in 31 minutes 41 seconds, one second quicker than i predicted i would run in last weeks post. Ian Hudspith won the race with Stephan Hepples second. But i did beat the Legendary Steve Cram, i was absolutely gutted he didn't do the presentation that would of made my day. I wish i wasn't so shy, i should of asked if i could of had my photo taken with him, that would of looked good on my blog. A good resolution for 2009 - Speak up.
So i came close to beating my 10k P.B. but not close enough, i'll be more determined than ever now in 2009 now that i have failed this year.
I can't believe how much strength i've lost in the gym, but at least i wasn't stiff as a board for days afterwards this week, i'm going to work hard on my weight training this winter.
The Gladiators Audition is next on the menu, so i'll report back Wednesday if i'm in any fit state.
I'll take some pain killers, just in case them Gladiators need them when i've finished with them.



A Long lone sprint to the finish.

No comments: