Sunday 15 March 2009

NYSD Cross Country Champion 2008 - 2009

Today was the final race in the North Yorkshire South Durham Cross Country League, which was held at Richmond on The Old Horse Race Course. The course is fantastic both for racers and spectators and with no ankle deep muddy sections it was ideal running ground for me. I was looking forward to this race as i felt i was getting back up to speed at last, I had no pre-race nerves what so ever so everything was looking good. The race was one small lap and three long laps, i thought i would point this out as by the end of the race i was still raring to go round again for another lap. I threw my victory away, or at least a close battle for victory. Let me try and explain, turning onto the finishing straight with two laps to go i was passed by a York runner who sounded like he was giving it everything, as i had two long laps to go i continued with hard cruise mode saving myself for the final lap which i was going to give it everything, and believing the York runner would be on his last legs. Only problem was when i came round to start my final lap of giving it everything i was waved in to the finish. I still can't believe it now, finishing a race and i was hardly out of breath, it wasn't even anywhere near one of my hard training sessions. Gutted to say the least. Not just for throwing the victory away but in myself for not giving 100%. Another lesson learned the hard way. I will concentrate more on the laps in future.
On the positive side, i was up for more miles, unlike at the end of season feeling when you go through the first mile and think where's the finish. Also I am now the NYSD Cross Country League Champion 2008 - 2009.
Next week is the British Masters Cross Country Championships in North Wales so i need to be 110% focused and prepared to give it absolutely everything in the pursuit for a medal. The knowledge of knowing it's my last cross country race this season will work wonders. To be honest I'm really looking forward to getting tarmac back under my feet.

No comments: