Thursday 18 March 2010

Power up.

After Sundays race which ended up being a good morale booster plus it was a change from the long run Sunday which can get really boring if your not careful. I'm never going to be the best runner on the planet so I find it's much better to do what I want rather than stick to a strict training plan, I know keeping to a training plan as near as possible would be far more beneficial but at the end of the day it's a hobby to me so enjoyment has to be the number one priority.
This year I have reduced my average weekly mileage as I also did last year, I didn't really want to reduce my mileage but I have swapped two to three running sessions a week for weight training sessions. The weight training makes for an excellent way of resting your running legs whilst still allowing you to keep training as well as many other benefits. After reading about Lance Armstrong's (seven times tour de France winner) and Paula Radcliffe's training who both use weight training I felt I should also give it try. All the pros and cons didn't come into the equation, if they were doing weights then it had to be right. The question is does it work ? I'm now running less mileage but with the same race times even though I'm getting older and training has become much more enjoyable now there is something else on the menu. So the answer has to be yes.
After two races and a few treadmill speed sessions my Adidas Adios race shoes have been untouchable until I came to put them to bed the other night. The tread has almost worn out on the outer midfoot section, I know it's the way I run but I'm gutted they haven't lasted very long. The question is do I buy another pair of Adios race shoes and keep them for the marathon or switch back to Mizuno's which are almost as good but last the full season, or better still go for both with some Adidas Boston 2's just in case more cushioning is required in a race. It's only a small case of money that is causing such a big problem.

No comments: