Sunday 14 March 2010

Racing to Victory.


Saturday I tested myself on the treadmill as a pre-race training session. I'm half a stone over race weight at the moment but my running tests at the moment suggest I'm going really well, and if I do manage to get down to race weight in time for the Edinburgh Marathon then I will be in P.B. smashing form.
Today was a final crack at some cross country racing in the NYSD cross country league at Richmond. The course is probably my favourite out of the whole season and as I have said before it's good for spectators as well, I should of been getting another long run in but seeing as I like the race at Richmond that much I just could resist the temptation. The race started steady which was no surprise as it was uphill into a strong headwind, I always say each year you come out of winter a different runner with a new strength in a different area depending how you have changed your training. This year I am convinced I have higher top end speed or maybe the same speed but can manage to hold the pace for longer, either way yet again I opted to test this notion out and attacked on the first long downhill section. I managed to reduce the lead group to the three of us with myself, Matt ? , and Dougie Roberts from Richmond Zetland Harriers. The next lap I attacked again at the same spot which then reduced the lead group to one. From then on it was just a case of battling uphill into the headwind each lap and keeping the hard efforts for the downhill sections. It was great feeling once again to be victorious, a few of the top runners were missing but I would imagine I would of beaten them anyway. (That comment should make some future races all that harder no doubt)


No comments: