Saturday 8 May 2010

Ripon 10 ahead.

I was really looking forward to the Ripon 10 miler tomorrow morning but now I have got a cold. I'm still looking forward to the race but just a bit miffed at getting a cold at this time of year, I suppose it's better now than in two weeks time when I need to be 100% healthy for the Edinburgh Marathon. From past years I would say having a cold makes no difference to my race time so I will be aiming to beat my time from last year if it's not too windy.
Team mate Andrew Halliday will be on the start line as well and looks to be improving all the time so I will be looking to see him improve on the 4th place he took in the first race of the Blacksheep Series at the Fountains 10k. Thirsk and Sowerby Harriers should be looking good for the team prize as we have Richard Hall and Cameron Choules who both are capable of finishing easily in the top 10.
Since Sheffield Half Marathon I have switched back to my lucky 2008 Thirsk and Sowerby Harriers vest which took me 17 victories that year and already I have a win and a Yorkshire Championship Bronze Medal. The vest seems to be more important than putting the left sock on first but I won't be risking putting the right sock on first for some time yet.
I have sorted my gear out for the Edinburgh Marathon, lucky 2008 vest, new Ronhill shorts, Adidas Adios race shoes tried and tested and a brand new pair being run in tomorrow, my favourite Brooks nightlife socks and finally a new stopwatch with a touch of bling. Anything to get on the start line of a marathon to feel good and know your kit will do the job, only thing to worry about is not going too fast for the first 13 miles.


Darren Bilton a rival who I have ever only beaten once deserves full respect on the art of running marathons, I have checked his marathon times over the years and they are all spot on, many a time contenders have tried to push the pace early on and he has ignored them and passed them with ease later on in the race, believe me it takes some courage to let a rival go down the road even though you know you will catch him some miles later. I haven't mastered this skill yet but hopefully this year at Edinburgh the little devil on my shoulder will not persuade me to run full steam ahead for the first 10k.

No comments: