Friday 6 June 2014

Where am I.

 Where am I and where am I heading. Six months ago I decided to get back running with the intention of competing at the Masters 5k Championships and that time is now almost up. I have lost weight around two and half stones, trained like hell, clocked up over 1600 miles of running, raced and had my highs and lows that go with running. Now all that effort and time is going to be finally put to the test, there is no second chance, excuses are a waste of energy, and this is what it's all been about. Top ten, top three, bronze, silver, gold, silver , bronze, top ten, have messed with my mind. I would be happy with bronze make no bones about it but to be National Champion now that would be something. No medal I would consider a complete disaster now and believe me it could very well happen as there is such a small margin between winning any getting nothing. You don't win gold by having good luck has been a good motivator whilst suffering during speed training sessions. I switched from training to get in the top ten, then for bronze and finally to training for gold. Train for gold and take what comes has been the plan for some time now. I don't think I could of been in much better condition taking everything into account.  I have my  new running gear tried and tested,  my old idea of feeling good, looking good must equal running good. All in all ready for action.
   So what after ? Besides a few races to keep my need for racing fed, I will be targeting the Masters track and field championships in August. I won't be training like hell for them I will take it as it comes and will try to make it more enjoyable with a less pressure experience. The 5000 metres race would be my obvious option but I think I could medal at the 1500 metres and I do like that idea. (a lot).  It's a long way off my best running moments doing marathons but it will certainly help keep things interesting. I am mulling over the idea weather to run a marathon in 2015 some weeks I am then the next I'm not. The marathon needs a lot of time before and after, a lot to ask for just  one race. Is it worth it ? Ask just about  any marathon runner  at any level and the answer is of course it is.
   Later on in the year there is the cross country races and indoor track races that I also enjoy, there is  so much to think about and I will need to fit a well earned rest in amongst all this as well.
  First things first, let's get ready to rrrruuummmble.

No comments: