Thursday 14 May 2009

Marathon Fast Approaching.

Just over two weeks to go now and still I need to shed a couple of pounds, I think I will be content with loosing just the one pound seeing as I must be carrying slightly more muscle mass than last year. The gym work is still going well and today's session with the weight set as I had just before the Gladiators Auditions, I am now able to lift the weight two and half more times. So surely it all must add up to a pound.
Edinburgh Marathon have kindly sent me a list of some of the top runners entered in this years race. As you can see a top 20 place for me would be a great achievement against this lot.
Andi Jones - Salford Harriers / Neil Renault - Medway & Maidstone AC
Peter Tucker - Blackheath & Bromley Harriers AC / Martin Williams /Ronhill Cambuslang
Darran Bilton - Leeds City AC / Chris Birchall - Leeds City AC
Paul - Martelletti - Victoria Park Harriers & Tower Hamlets AC /David Kirkland - Alnwick
Ian Grime - Newham & Essex Beagles / Nathaniel Williams - North York Moors AC
Paul McNamara - Abbey AC / Keith Russell - Reading Road Runners
Paul Arcari -Kilbarchan Amateur Athletic Club / Steve Littler - Wesham Road Runners
Mark Powell - OWLS AC / ChristopherWilson - Ronhill Cambuslang Harriers
Pumlani Bangani - Salford Harriers / John Ward - Bristol & West/Bideford
Martin Hilton - Leeds City AC / Stuart Fox - Bournemouth AC
Oliver Gibson - Newquay Road Runners / Andrew Hennessy - Wells City Harriers
Stephen Wylie - Ronhill Cambuslang Harriers

For me this will be the biggest battle/race I've ever been involved in. My plan will be to take as many scalps as possible off the list above but in doing so I run a very high risk of burning out well before the finish. From the list above, on paper I'm just about one of the slowest so I have now no option but to go out with all guns blazing. I will be happier in battle than I would be worrying about times and pacing.
No racing this weekend so it's time for the good old long run, without the watch this time so it doesn't become a long distance time trial.

1 comment:

Antony Bradford said...

That's some list. Remember, in marathon running a lot can happen on the day. Some sub 30 minute 10k runners never make a good time at the marathon. You have a good chance.

Have a good run.