Sunday 10 May 2009

Ripon 10 mile

After a week of recovery from last weekends double race I was feeling quite keen for the Ripon 10 miler which is a hilly multi-terrain type of course. I set off at a good pace and worked hard and well for the first 7 miles then for the last three miles I ran as fast as I could go really. Thankful for another victory but a bit dismayed by my time of 55 mins 35 seconds which was 55 seconds slower than last year. On reflection maybe I didn't suffer enough for the first 6 miles, with Edinburgh Marathon fast approaching it would of been a good morale booster to of equalled or beaten last years time. Alasdair Tatham of Quakers running club came in 2nd just ahead of Andy Chadfield from Billingham Marsh House.
With the race being my first counting race in the Blacksheep Brewery Race Series Championship it helped lift my spirits knowing I had a good start to my campaign. With having to run the 10 miler and half marathon races this year it will be hard enough trying to keep fit and healthy, it only takes one bad day on the day of the long races and your Championship battle will be finished.
I did enjoy marshalling and cheering on runners in the midweek Harrogate Evening League on Thursday night, it was just a pity I was too tired to race as another battle with Ian Fisher of Otley over the shorter distance might of favoured me slightly than against him in the longer races, especially as he's been off colour lately. On the other hand I probably would of had some unwanted race pressure from Jamil Parapia of Otley as he makes a good come back, who finished in second place behind the race winner Ian Fisher.
Luckily I have no races planned for next weekend so it will be my last chance of a long run. A hilly 22 miler around Kepwick Moor should do the trick. I'm still a few pounds heavier than what I was for last years marathon so hopefully I can shed those last few pounds as those two pounds make a difference of two minutes over marathon distance. I just hope all my training will be for nothing due to not getting down to race weight.

No comments: