Sunday 31 October 2010

What a clock up.

I was up early this morning with the clocks going back so I was out of the house at 6.40am and heading for a good 2 1/2 hours of off road running after the past week it was good to get plenty of cold air into my system. On returning home I visited the York Knavesmire Harriers website to ensure I would get a place for the 2011 Brass Monkey Half Marathon and bloody hell it said it was full, how could this be ? Well I remembered the clocks going back so at least that's something but for some reason I thought it was today the entries opened for the Brass Monkey but unfortunately it was yesterday. I have to laugh as I have been checking their website just about everyday for three weeks and even checked my diary from last year to check the date which would of been last Sunday. Looks like I will have to find a different Half Marathon now for my marathon preparation. The Silverstone half marathon is looking good and will make for a weekend away in early March. Just need a hotel which is my next job before I miss out on that race as well.

5 comments:

Antony Bradford said...

It was a case of total sell out in four hours. The rumour that Robbie Williams was starting the race turned out to be untrue!

I've missed out on so many races, so this time I decided to log on at 8-50am, which was 10 minutes before the on-line entries opened. It was rather panicky but it seems I made it in time.

The days of the 'enter on the day runner' have gone and careful forward planning is needed to enter the races you want to race. Races that I have previously entered on the day(like todays Guy Fawkes 10) also filled up before race day. I also missed out on the Snake Lane 10, in February, which is a race that I wanted to do.

There are still plenty of races left if you are prepared to travel.

Happy race hunting.

Terry Lonergan said...

As you have won the race in the very recent past I would have liked to have heard that they had sent you a complimentary entry,never mind missing out. Might be worth having a word anyway, Gary.

The Engineer said...

Not to worry. I have entered the Great NorthWest Half Marathon in Blackpool which I think you did last year Terry. The date being the 20th Feb 2011 which will probably suit my London marathon plans better, besides I can visit my dad for the weekend seeing as he lives just down the road at Leyland. I have no doubt it will be windy, it would be good to hear what your thoughts of the race are.

Terry Lonergan said...

It's a 2 lap course, Gary. Starts
on the middle walk near to the Hilton and heads north, first half mile slightly uphill,for 3 miles then swings back on the lower walk.
So short climbs from one walk to another but the majority of the course is flat and fast. Most importantly the race will have a permit. So your performance will be
recognised for athletics data, Run Britain etc. Obviously the weather could be bad. My race report was "It Ain't Hot Half!" dated Feb 21 2010.
Consider also the Wilmslow which will give you a testing race. Good standard generally. Big race atmosphere. Rural course.
Still think a call to Knavesmire as past winner might be worth it.
All the best, Terry

The Engineer said...

Thanks for the info. Hopefully the course is quicker than Sheffield which I have done for the last two years but more important to me these days is giving it everything to try and win, PB's are now drifting away but I do still love a good old close battle which I have had plenty of this year.