Saturday 2 August 2014

Back on Track.

 I have struggled this week with my training, it started earlier on in the week as I found my normal cruising speed a real effort and then I had a right blow out Wednesday with my speed training. So I eased back Thursday and Friday so that I would be a bit fresher for some more speed training today. I'm determined to crack 5k on the treadmill at 20kmh excluding the sprint finish and I made a large improvement on that today compared to two and half weeks ago. It was great to end the week back on track and get a morale boost just in time for next week's race.
  Whilst I cooled down from my training with a nice easy jog I had time to mull over my training and I came to the conclusion that I have become blinkered and obsessed with 20kmh. Normally I would be chucking in training sessions at varied levels just above my target pace and then I find I hit my target as a matter of course.
  I have been messing around with my new Tomtom GPS watch this week and seeing how it can help me for a marathon. My original plan was to keep a keen eye on my pace but in reality it makes for real inconsistent running as the gradient of the road, wind and other factors come into play and change continually making effort required yo yo like nobodies business. Average pace seems to be the way forward for now though I will continue to experiment . My main reason for buying the watch was for racing but I have found it to be totally awesome and of more use for speed and interval training sessions.
 

No comments: