Saturday 25 October 2014

Return to the Country.

NYSD cross country league Filey. 

 The weather was just about perfect for the latest cross country fixture at the country park in Filey, just a slight breeze to contend with that was all. I'm going to sound like a right novice here explaining the course but here goes. It was up hill for about a mile at least then it turned and went down a very short steep section into a strong head wind. Then you went across a ploughed field which felt like more uphill with a slight touch of flat thrown in and finally a short grass section uphill  to complete a lap, three laps and a total of around six miles. From my description you would be lead to believe the finish was around a thousand metres higher than the start and not right next to each other.
  The course in reality was probably not as bad as I have described and the race it self was marshalled and organised excellently and the venue was absolutely spot on.
     The race got under way and I immediately pressed on with a strong start and found myself at the front but soon as we turned to commence the three laps Greg Jasasuriya from Middlesbrough and Cleveland took the lead and at the same point Lewis Rogers from Loftus AC came past. As we pressed on ascending the never ending uphill section we became separated, to be honest I was further away from Rogers than he was from Jadasuriya. And that was that for the rest of the race. On lap two going up the never ending hill I would guesstimate I was around forty seconds behind Rogers and for a very short period of time thought I might be able to reel him in. By lap three the gap was growing and I had no hope of catching him, so third place for me it was. Not far behind at the finish were two young Mandale runners.
   From my training I know I have plenty of room yet for improvement and would go as far as to say a good minute, which doesn't really help matters as I would still finish in third place. Maybe just maybe close enough to make a fight for second, for first place errrm I will have no idea yet.
   My lungs definitely felt the afterburn afterwards which is to be expected after not racing for a while, hopefully things should feel better in my next few races that are coming up the Maltby 7 mile road race and the Leeds Abbey Dash 10k. A few drinks tonight and then tomorrow  I will be making a start on loosing that minute.

No comments: