Saturday 5 March 2016

Some rest day.

  I was due a rest day but I wasn't prepared for what it entailed, my ex running partner and best mate otherwise known as my dog Misty  had a stroke Sunday night come Monday morning. She was in a real bad state Monday but by Wednesday there were signs of slight improvements and since then she has been getting better bit by bit each day thankfully. She still hasn't eaten any of her food but thankfully she has made a start on eating mine and she is more than welcome to it if it makes her better.
   So I have missed a few training sessions which is no big deal and today I was ready to get back to some real work, I said last week that I was thinking of trying something different this Saturday so I came up with an idea. To be honest I didn't put much thought in to it and came up with one of my old favourites of long as possible but this time at a faster speed and shorter interval length. With the first effort only being four minutes long and with eight minutes jog afterwards it didn't appear that this training session would be very hard or even of much use to help me improve. Aftet two and half minutes at 19kmh  I was on the verge of giving up as that was as long as I could manage but somehow I did manage to make it to the four minute mark, ohhh that was harder that I imagined. Then I worked my way down, three and half minutes, three minutes and finally two and half minutes all with a good eight minute recovery jog in between. It ended up being a hard worth while session that I will be doing again in the near future. At my best in 2014 I could manage nearly twenty minutes at 20kmh on my first long as possible interval, which is an astronomical long way from where I am at the present.
   Tomorrow I will have a crack at an old favourite ten mile training session on the treadmill that I got off an old rival come friend Jim Bulman, three miles at  10 mph, three miles at 11 mph , three miles at 12 mph and finally a mile as fast as possible. There is no way I can do that so I will down grade it to 8mph, 9mph, 10 mph and probably slow it down and give it every thing for the last mile. 
    I have been looking and studying my comeback in 2014 and I would say that I am four weeks and on the verge of five weeks behind compared to then, on an enjoyment scale I would say I'm on par and on the weight battle I have slipped to one to two weeks behind. None of this matters unless I plan on winning the National Masters 5km Championships in June, on that matter I won't make it as there isn't enough time. The National Masters Track Championships are in September so I think I will make that my big target for this year.

No comments: