Monday 30 May 2016

Northallerton 10k

 The Sun wasn't shinning as I had hoped it would of on Sunday morning as I gently warmed up for the Northallerton 10k race, it might not of been glorious sunshine but the weather was perfect for running. Richmond Zetland Harriers were in force on the start line and going off recent form Rob Scott was looking good for the win or a top spot at least seeing as there is always a few top runners sneaking under your rival radar.
  For me it was another plain sailing race, I have nothing to loose so I just turn up with no pressure what so ever and enjoy it. To round up the race route it was simply uphill, undulating off road, downhill and finish. So my plan once again was to control my effort uphill and do whatever I pleased everywhere else.
  Bit of an hiccup with the starters air horn but it was too late we were out of the blocks and on our way, I controlled my little devil on my shoulder demanding for a fast start and full steam ahead. Down through the high street felt as it should of which is nice and easy. As we left town I took the lead and opened up a short gap to the front runners just to see how they would respond. Left turn and up a short steepish  hill and that was the end of my lead but I did manage to latch onto the rear of the lead pack, once the long uphill section began it was time to concentrate and control my effort, the lead runners started to slowly  pull away which was as  I had expected but then a Wallsend runner came flying past me which gave me some concern with my own effort, surely I should be trying harder. Anyway I pressed on with the thought that I would be back in touch with him and some others in front of me before the finishing line. The front runners were in sight and I could see Rob Scott had his work cut out as there was three others with him, maybe they were working together  who knows. My concern was the two runners ahead of me, one of them being  Mr Wallsend in 6th who was closing in on the other which was  Richmond Zetland runner Steve Middleton in 5th. Eventually the Wallsend runner passed Middleton so it was all down to me now and get stuck in and take the 6th spot for myself. All along the undulating top  section I worked away at reeling Middleton in, the gap was closing but it was unbelievably  slow. Obviously I had the advantage of having something to chase after that was until we did a short u-turn back on ourselves which was a good chance to check out what was happening behind you. At a guess I would say I was now around 10 seconds behind Middleton maybe a touch more and behind me luckily everything seemed to be in hand. Onto the downhill section and  time for me to attack, the gap closed more quickly now and I put in an extra effort as I passed him to take 6th position. It now got even more interesting as I had to defend this 6th place but 5th place was now on offer. For the rest of the run down into town I was sure I was gaining on the Darlington Harrier ahead but then I came to the conclusion that there wasn't enough racing distance left to catch him. One last final blast into town and over the line I went in 6th place in 36 minutes 13 seconds. Ten seconds behind Darlington Harrier Colin Taylor. The Wallsend runner was Mathew Darbyshire who went from strength to strength after passing me and ended up in 4th place and 24 seconds ahead of me. Rob Scott Richmond Zetland went on to win the race in 35 minutes 05 seconds. To be honest he looked like he had strolled round by the pictures in the Northern Echo where as I looked like some snarling crazy old hyena on the front page.
   I think the time has come to move on and get stuck into any climbs in my next races. I believe climbing is still my weakest link at the moment so I will continue working on this in training for at least the next six weeks. Another area that still requires attention is  my sprint  finish which is also being addressed and will continue to do so for some time yet.

What a very fitting front page. 
Teesside air show,  yes I went to that.
10k race, yep that's me.
Underage drinking, yep got done for that.
Biting off more than you can chew, yep everyday.

No comments: