Sunday 27 September 2009

Castle Howard 10k

Today it was the Cancer Research 10k Run at Castle Howard. Having spent most of the week trying to get back to full health after the sickness bug I was planning on running this charity event as just as a bit of fun and just cruising round. But as soon as I heard the word GO my feet were hard at it and even before I had to think what was happening I was already marking and closing down any early sprints just in case they might be a danger. Luckily after the first kilometer everything settled down as I became the lone leader then it was just a case of enjoying the surroundings. The route was mostly off road and quite hilly but with no need to push my self to the limits it made for a good work out, I'm sure if you raced round this course at full speed then it would definitely be a hard 10k.
It's now been a year since my mother died of cancer, so to cross the line and win made it a very special victory indeed.
Hopefully I can get back to full training this week as I make a very poor patient. As I feel I'm almost healthy I will drink a few Blacksheep beers tonight just to see if I'm correct. Talking of Blacksheep it's the Blacksheep Series presentations next Sunday which I'll be attending and trying out the food and beer.
Next Sunday will be another long run of 20 miles plus one way or another. Ste Hepples might be venturing this way which should make for a hard interesting run, or plan B is to take in another adventure around Kildale which my route master has mapped out for me. Either way next
weekend is looking good.
Running for National Tubes Stockholders(N.T.S.) / Cleveland Steel and Tubes (C.S.T.).



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well done Gary - good to see you getting back to normal.