Sunday 18 October 2009

Cautious Runners Ahead !

Today's training long run was slightly different in that I had company, Ste Hepples is moving up to the marathon distance and having not done more than 2 hours before he was slightly cautious about getting round the 22 miles in good shape, myself I was cautious about the pace as Ste Hepples is capable of running half marathon's in 64 minutes which is much faster than what I am capable of. But steady away at the start seemed to be a good starting point and before I knew it we were passed my first check point, 1 hours 13 minutes, "how we doing" asked Ste. "Bloody hell ! I can't remember ever being this slow" I answered. My best time being 10 minutes quicker and on average we were still 5 minutes plus slower. We just carried on with more or less the same pace and talking all the time, we soon whizzed through the next check point without me looking at my watch. Approaching 18 miles or there abouts we had recovered a whole lot of time without much effort and both of us were still bouncing along ok, a lot different than two weeks ago when I finished this course in a right old state in 2 hours 49 minutes. The last three miles felt really good to me and Ste was in no trouble what so ever as we finished in 2 hours 45 minutes. For his first serious long run especially on this hilly route I have no doubt what so ever he will run an absolute fantastic first marathon, sub 2 hours 18 minutes I predict. Myself I was pleased to of run the route today in 2 hours 45 minutes with such ease which keeps me in the right frame of mind for more hard training for the week ahead.
Rather than just doing an easy five miler tomorrow for recovery I'm opting to run the 7 miles to work followed by a lift home and then an all round gym session with weights, tread milling and cycling, with enjoyment being the main aim rather than pain.

No comments: