Tuesday 24 November 2009

Damage Limitation.

I'm still doing everything I know to try and get every last drop of improvement out of myself ready for the Thirsk 10 miler this weekend, it will be a case of damage limitation rather than the PB performance I was hoping for. The Club training tomorrow includes the monthly time trial so I will be going eye-balls out as to enable me to gauge what shape I'm exactly in, weather permitting that is. I won't be cutting back in training until the day before, even then I will be still running 4 miles easy followed by a weight training session, the last thing I need now is races preventing me from training.
The Ribble Valley 10k has a slight change in course and will therefore be remeasured, knowing my luck it will turn out to be a slow course or it will be windy as chuff. Either way I'm still looking forward to it.
Christmas will soon be here, along with all the temptations of over eating and drinking, and I have no doubt what so ever that I won't be able to resist as usual. At least I will be able to treat myself to those race shoes I have be waiting patiently for. The Adidas Adios will become my weapons of choice for next season.
Marathon - After carefully mulling over which marathon I should do next year I have opted for, wait for it ! The Edinburgh Marathon. It's not just about the race itself it's about the whole weekend which we find really enjoyable. My plan will be to run my own race and ignore all other rivals that might cause me to run too fast too early. As our club coach Rob Burn keeps reminding us all the time, "even pacing" and I will be doing my up most to stick with it. I know it will be one hell of a battle for the first 10 miles as the set off too fast demon keeps urging me on. Over Christmas I will come up with some sort of plan to ensure I turn up on marathon day at my best, 2008 was perfect but 2009 I peaked too early and lacked long runs in the run up to marathon day. Doing the long runs at the correct effort I find is a major key in doing well, from the easy early ones to the final fast tempo ones.

No comments: