Sunday 10 January 2010

Edinburgh Cross Country 2010

Instead of plodding along in the ice and snow I opted to try something different by going on the treadmill for one hour twenty minutes at a good tempo pace. Having no idea of how fast for how long I could manage I selected 17km/h with the target of doing an hour at that speed with the rest of the time warming up and cooling down. I could only manage 40 minutes at 17km/h but at least now I have a set myself a target to beat next time. I finished off the hour and twenty minutes with a one minute sprint as I try and finish all running sessions with a sprint these days. I did another thirty minutes on the weights again today as I did after yesterdays speed training.
I watched on tv the Edinburgh International Cross Country Races on Saturday with the first race being the short course race of 4.2km the main focus before the race being the battle between Mo Farah Britain's top 3000mtr runner and Andy Baddeley Britain's top 1500mtr runner. Mo Farah attacked from the start and opened up a slight lead over the chasing pack. I was hoping to see Ricky Stevenson New Marske Harriers who is from around these parts as he had done well the year before. Coming through to start the final lap Mo Farah was still in the lead but Steve Vernon had broken clear as well and in the chasing pack Ricky Stevenson was just getting past Andy Baddley which was good enough for me to leap out of the chair in delight. Then unbelievably Ricky Stevenson pulled away from the chasing pack and started to catch Steve Vernon who in turn was catching the leader Farrah. Steve Vernon caught Farah and in no time Ricky Stevenson was right there with them. Steve Vernon attacked and pulled clear of Farah but Stevenson responded with ease and with 800 metres to go all bets must of switched to Ricky Stevenson winning because that lad can't half shift in a sprint finish. 200 metres to go he fired up both foot rockets and took off leaving Vernon and Farah for dead. Bloody fantastic. What a Victory. He demolished the best Britain had to offer. I have been asked if Stevenson was the lad I used to race against, I had to admit I had shown him how to win many times by letting him beat me every time we raced. All I can say is the rest of the World had better watchout.

1 comment:

Antony Bradford said...

I watched it too and it was a good race. Possible over confidence and lack of race tactics lost it for Farah.I would say he's a better track runner. Having said that in the early stages I would have had all my money on him winning the race.

I did shock the wife and kids when I said I raced some of these lads just after Christmas(Ribble Valley 10k). I didn't have the heart to tell them about the 6 minute gap.