Sunday 30 March 2014

Race Time.

   I arrived for the Hartlepool Marina 5 mile race with plenty of time to spare I had a good forty minutes before the start of the race. Other runners were all ready hard at it warming up and putting in some hard efforts as I sat and waited patiently,  I wanted to be out there with them but it wasn't time the chimp paradox brain training was in operation sit still, save energy and try to relax. Tick Tock Tick Tock this waiting game is harder than I thought then suddenly my relaxing mode was interrupted as Keith Richardson ex Swaledale Runner had come along to watch the race and had phoned to see where I was. I asked on his location and after being told he was at the finishing line I directed him to my parked car. After a quick chat I think he was begininnig to think I wasn't running as I was still sat in my car. There was still twenty minutes to go, I only need twelve. But I made my move and got ready. After a steady warm up and nothing too hard like I used to do I casually made my way to the start line.
    On the start line there was more waiting, a few big deep breaths and one last check to make sure that little demon that has spoilt loads of races for me by demanding full steam ahead at the start of races was locked up in his cage. ( More chimp paradox training) In his place are a set of pre-programmed start options. The pre race nerves are still there, the butterflies are still present, and the self doubts are there, I am struggling to manage the doubts so I will just have to learn to live them for now.
   This is no ordinary time this is race time, 5,4,3,2,1, bang. Programme option one goes straight into operation, 100 metres, 200 metres, 300 metres launch control cleared now time to way up the opposition. Jim Bulman is leading the way followed by another runner and  Dominic Shaw, too fast for me I will have to let them go, so onwards it is at my pace and I soon have an Hartlepool runner Paul Wilson for company. First mile 5 mins 13 and everything feels OK, soon after I can't  keep pace with the Hartlepool runner plus two more runners come past, oops seventh place for me. Two miles in 9 mins 56, that can't be right. And now I'm joined by another runner, now it's time to fight. Mile three marker 16 mins plus, errm thought
Sprint finish must of worked seeing as the other runner
is not in the picture.
something was not quite right but it makes no difference what so ever as I'm going just about as fast as I can. By mile four I am passed caring about the time but my opposition isn't  he is on some sort of  a time mission. Opposition rechecks his watch again with a quarter of a mile to go so I take off as I  so want this seventh place badly and that is where I finish. 27 minutes 08 seconds. Ohhhhh that didn't half make my lungs hurt,  but at least it won't hurt as much next time. It was slightly windy but I doubt it would of affected my time, could I have gone faster ? No.
  I now have some data to cross reference with compared to my 5k treadmill test, I would say the treadmill is about 45 seconds quicker. Well that's what I will be working on from now on. So my 15 mins 34 seconds is really 16 mins 19 seconds. That is fantastic news as it now gives me plenty of room to carve another minute off my treadmill test which I am quite sure is possible.
 
 








No comments: