Sunday 29 March 2009

Revenge, PB, Teespride 5k

Today I was tempted by the Teespride 5k race at Middlesbrough, I know I should be getting some long runs done at the weekends in preparation for the Edinburgh Marathon but seeing as I enjoy the Teespride 10k race so much I thought I had better check this new race on the calendar out. Before the 5km race was started the International One mile race was on the timetable. With many of the Countries top one milers in attendance it was sure to be a tough contest. Ricky Stevenson yet again was unstoppable in a fantastic time of just over four minutes, either one mile or 10 miles or probably even up to the half marathon he is on the verge of conquering all distances in this country for certain.
The weather was just about perfect for the 5km race with sunshine and just a slight cold breeze, a far cry from the week of gale force winds we have just had to endure. From the very start a good sized group of runners formed at the front of the race, myself I fought hard not to push the pace on as I felt it was too easy but I also knew I ruin most of my races with setting off too fast. For the first three kilometres I kept with the Lead group of runners then either the pace went up or I was beginning to suffer or probably both , at this point I was in fifth place which i held until the final one and half kilometres of the race. Andy Wiles past me which i was non too pleased with but then the race favourite Ian Hudspith the 10km Teespride winner from last year pulled up with an injury, I wasn't waiting to see if he was alright as my joy of getting back the fifth spot eased my own pain for a fraction of a second. I kept the 5th position all the way to the line and finished in a Personal Best Time of 15 mins 17 secs for 5km with Lewis G-Thompson another close rival hot on my heels. I really wanted to break the 15 minute barrier but as I'm just returning to that lovely black stuff also know as tarmac after a long Cross Country Season I couldn't of asked for a better start to my road season. Oh ! Revenge ! Stewey Bell the V40 Gold Medalist that beat me at the Cross Country Race the weekend before was this time back where he belongs, just where I like him, behind me. My mileage this winter is down on other seasons but sticking with the weight training and cross country racing appears to be the right choice with my first Personal Best Time in two Years.

4 comments:

Antony Bradford said...

Well done with the new PB - and such a good time too!

If you haven't done so already you should be checking out the rankings for 5k V40. You should be well up there.

Team Shaw said...

well done for boro 5k seemed to have a good run - but it was andy wiles(doms team mate) who passed you to go into 4th place not dom as the anouncer at the end also got it wrong..

The Engineer said...

Thanks for that.
With all you lot going so well it's hard to tell
who's who especially when i'm surrounded
by an army of light blue shirts. I thought it was
Andy Wiles but the announcer convinced me otherwise.
Good team you lot have got going up there at New Marske, great for competition and forcing me to try harder.

Team Shaw said...

yeh was a good race well set up - nice to see you get a p.b aswell your a good inspiration to all of us