Thursday 26 March 2009

Norman Smith - Thirsk and Sowerby Harriers Chairman and Founder.

Once again another great run is ruined by sad news. This time with the news of the sudden death of Norman Smith last Sunday. I was looking forward to telling Norman Smith about winning my bronze medal at the British Masters Championships and how the Athletics weekly reporter had highlighted the fact he had never heard of our club and that we must be some little, new club from "Up North". Hopefully after putting him right about our club we might just get a couple of words mentioning Thirsk and Sowerby Harriers in the next addition of athletics weekly.
I know how Norman was proud of me doing well for Thirsk and Sowerby Harriers which drove me on to do even better and train harder. I have been asked a few times about joining other teams but after mulling it over for a few hours I always came to the same result, in that I would be happier at Thirsk and Sowerby Harriers, the club where i feel is home. A club that Norman was the founder and chairman and with Norman and help from other committee members they have made a club that you wouldn't want to leave once a member, plus i knew i would never be able to tell the little fella i was leaving. Even my blood running through my veins has developed a hint of the yellow and blue of Thirsk and Sowerby Harriers.
Norman will be missed greatly by all, for all different reasons, but for me , Norman was like yoda from star wars , small, wise, inspirational and in his time was one of the best.

Good bye Norman.

1 comment:

Antony Bradford said...

Sorry about your mate and founder of the Harriers.

It seems there's never a shortage of bad news, and even runners, often described as totally single minded and lacking emotion can become affected and emotional.

This weekend, whilst trying to avoid the sadness of the media coverage regarding a certain celebrity from Big Brother, I decided to 'trawl' through the historic results from the South Leeds 5 mile. From the 2001 results was the name of John Taylor from Bingley - an acceptionally talented young runner who died suddenly in 2003. Reading this had the affect of me focusing on what I have - rather than what I have not. It didn't win me the race but it seemed to cure the niggles and self doubt.