Saturday 8 October 2022

Park Dunner

 These Park runs are not classified as a race. For myself if I am trying to beat even one single person it’s race day. 

 I can not even run a full 5k in my race mode without a few walks. At least I can easily lose some time by actually running the full 5k in the near future looking at it positively with a grin. 

Fountains Abbey 5k Park Run was my first event in race mode for 6 years, the place is absolutely stunning  I can only imagine that there isn’t a more scenic Park Run. It was an excellent feeling to be back in a race of any kind and I was really looking forward to the pain that I would soon feel be upon me. Thankfully one thing was for sure I was guaranteed plenty of opposition. I must be getting keen when my Friday night Whisky intake was reduced to just 1/3 of a bottle for race preparation. The other 2/3 can be completed tonight in celebration. 

Running at a speed that I could maintain for the full 5k would be the best plan in anyones manual. I just knew I would get carried away and rightly so as I was there to have fun. All was going well for the first half of the race , I felt my speed was manageable and better than since my recent weeks of training but a couple of lumps and bumps soon caused engine failure and all warning lights to flash so I was reduced to walking mode in some sections until the finish. Anyway finished in one piece in 24 minutes 39 seconds. I must say my other catch phrase that I copied off Couch to 5k plan was much easier. The 5k to couch plan 🙈


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great to see you had entered the Fountains Park Run after such a long lay off.
You obviously needed that time out from 2017.
Time now after re evaluating life,not to put too much pressure on yourself and just get back out there and enjoy yourself without the previous pressures.
Running is still the best exercise for anyones mental health.
Keep up the good work Gary,just enjoy and try not to be too competitive haha.
Regards Alan Harman