Friday 10 April 2009

Smashing Good Friday

After racing so much over the last month or so it was time to get back to Marathon Training. Having not run a good hard twenty miler for five weeks I was slightly cautious when setting off on my twenty two mile hilly run around Boltby and Kepwick Moor. The first mile seemed to be going so well I thought I may as well see what time I was capable of doing. The long mile plus climbs up Sneck Yate and at Hawnby took their toll on my legs but by the 14 mile mark or there abouts I was two minutes up on my best ever time. I managed to keep a good pace going even though I was beginning to dehydrate but still felt I could extend my margin over my previous best time, unfortunately I wasn't quick enough over the last section but I still managed to beat my best time by over a minute. On going over my split times and effort I reckon I would of been much quicker running the second half quicker than the first half, which just goes to show all them coaches and books are spot on. As I once achieved a very good time quite easily by running very steady in the first twelve miles on this route.
At last years Edinburgh Marathon I felt I went too quick in the first six miles as I got carried away with the atmosphere and the will to win, but this year I must practice running at my optimal effort for the first 13 miles, if I can just control that little devil on my shoulder demanding more speed from the off I should have every chance of getting the time I think I'm capable of running. Easier said than done.
This weight training lark is getting to be quite addictive, I have even bought some weight lifting gloves, I'm not sure if they are for posing in are for stopping me getting my grubby little mits all over the gym equipment, but I do hope they make me run faster.
I have planned another twenty miler for next weekend but I will be leaving my watch at home on that training run to prevent me from turning it into a twenty mile time trial, I must remember to enjoy some of my training runs as I know how easily everything can go wrong all of a sudden and then it's a long way back.

1 comment:

Antony Bradford said...

Take care. At this point the little devil on your shoulder will be working overtime to destroy an outstanding performance. Your experience of a previous marathon and dedication to your training will win through. The little devil will be on your shoulder in the early stages of the marathon begging you to speed up. You will have to control this to get the time that you want. As you already know, practice will be required to enable you to control that desire to run faster too early on.

All the best.