Sunday 24 May 2009

Where's that Cartoon Man ?

The weather was fantastic today if you was planning on relaxing and sunbathing in a park somewhere. But for the Melmerby 10k race today it made each kilometre marker seem that extra bit longer . I was planning to run around the course in 31 minutes 40 seconds today and set off right from the start with that purpose in mind. But unfortunately the going seemed harder than anticipated and I had to make do with 32 minutes 18 seconds. I probably could of got under 32 minutes if I was in a race situation but it was more of an individual time trial run today, and I don't seem to be able to make myself suffer as much these days. But I was still chuffed to bits to of won the race as it was not long ago I had gone seven months without a win, so I do appreciate victory when I manage to come up trumps. With five wins and two P.B.'s over the last month I will be heading to Scotland on a feel good factor to say the least. Oh ! As Thirsk and Sowerby Harriers we managed to win the team prize as well, with Phil Utley returning back to form after a difficult patch and Stephan Tomaszewski also returning back to top form. I may struggle to part with their share of the winnings as we won a crate of Blacksheep Beer. Sorry Lads ! Looks like your down to one bottle each as I have recalculated using house of commons formula were you look after yourself and no one else. Only Joking ! I've thrown in an extra bottle for you to share.
On a positive note the race was part of the Blacksheep Race Series Championship and with the time today my campaign of overall victory looks to be going really well. I will miss the Kirkby Malzeard 10k this year as I will be recovering from the Edinburgh Marathon. Even though it's a tough 10k I do like the race, so my next race in the series will be the Rainton 10k which I have now seemed to of mastered, I don't know why but I used to find the Rainton 10k one hard slog but over the last two years I have gone quite well so I just hope to continue with the quite well scenario.
This weeks training should be enjoyable with short runs and easy runs only to complete. Even the weekly visit to the gym will have to be made really easy as the Last thing I need is to turn up for the start of a marathon with stiff shoulders and arms. As I have said before I'm sure I have tried my best to get to the start line in the best possible shape taking all things into consideration.
I will be starting my carbo-loading for the marathon tonight as I will be heading out for steak and chips at the pub with a few pints of high calorie beers to assist in washing it down, even the dessert menu looks like it's going to get a close investigation.
On a final note, has anyone seen the cartoon man ? After the race an elderly gentleman approached me to do a caricature drawing and said he would present it to me at the presentation. But the cheeky sod did a runner and I couldn't find him anywhere. I even checked the wheelie bins outside but he had covered his trail well.

2 comments:

Simon Anderson said...

Good luck in the Edinburgh Marathon. I'm sorry that the weather forecast is against you (blistering!), but I'll spare you a thought as I'm panting along on my long run.

All the best,

Simon.

Runningbear said...

Will be watching out for the marathon result - hope the run goes well at Edinburgh for you. Runningbear.