Sunday 13 September 2009

Great Start.

After seven weeks without racing and just a couple of weeks of getting back to full training today's race at the Wetherby 10k was bound to be hard work. The temperature was perfect but the strong winds weren't going to be helpful in setting any P.B.'s. From the start I hit the front and settled into a good steady pace with fellow club mate Andrew Halliday pulling along side saying he would keep me company for a while. After a couple of kilometers I could tell somebody was not far behind due to the spectators applauding the next runner after only a few seconds, and keeping to my usual tactic of never looking back I didn't know who it was, but what I did know was that they were pushing me hard and it wasn't until the final kilometer that I felt I had it won. I crossed the finishing line in 32 minutes 37 seconds, considering the terrain and the strong wind I was more than happy with my time. The second runner to finish was Jamil Parapia from Otley AC who is an old rival who I have been in close battle with on many occasions. Thirsk and Sowerby Harriers also won the team prize with myself, Andrew Halliday in 4th and Richard Hall.
With plenty of weight to loose and plenty of room for improvement everything looks to be heading in the right direction. I totally enjoyed the race but next weekend it's back to training and the long run.
I am once again pleased to of won the Blacksheep Race Championship, I've managed to win this five times now and I will be trying my luck again next year.

No comments: