Friday 1 July 2011

No Need for Speed.

   I knew that it would take some time to get back upto full speed again after suffering a long term injury but I never imagined I would be stuck in no-mans land with a good 2 minutes away form what I should be capable of doing over 10k. This weeks training has gone really well but deep down I also feel frustrated as I find it totally impossible to train at the speeds I once did. The idea of racing myself back to full fitness is just wishful thinking as I know all too well from my cycling days, so the way forward has to be a return to some solid base work for 12 weeks and build up from there. Well ! The thought of knocking out long steady runs at this time of year doesn't sound much fun to me especially when there is so many fantastic races to be part of, the speed will just have to wait. The Burn Valley Half Marathon, Kilburn 7, Burton Leonard 10k, are just a few of the up and coming races I am planning on doing, no chance of a PB and the courses are bloody hard work but they are great races. If I could recover quicker between races I would be doing some of the mid week fell races as well which I keep meaning to do more of.
Melmerby 10k
   For the past ten years or more I have considered the end of July as an end to my racing season whether on my bike or on foot and this year will be no different, I will try and have a few very easy weeks with a walking challenge or two before starting on my base training which also includes a few blips as I will not be able to stop myself doing the Teespride 10k and the Wetherby 10k.

No comments: