Sunday 20 November 2011

Light Water Valley 10k

 Lightwater Valley 10k - I took the lead from the starters gun and quickly found a good speed that I felt I could maintain throughout the race, after about 1 1/2 miles I thought to myself that it was going to be a funny old race guessing how far I had done and then a further 1/4 of a mile later the first mile marker appeared. In all my racing years that had to be the worst guestimation of how far I had done and I knew it was going to be one old long slog for the further 5.2miles. Tony Lambert from Swaledale tracked me for the first three miles or there abouts until I started to run out of steam and then he steadily but surely started to pull away. I finished in 35 minutes 55 seconds to take 2nd place which was around a minute slower than Tony who took the Victory.
  I reckon my time would be worth around 34 minutes 40 seconds on a good road course for 10k which is exactly what I had expected to do, after not racing for so long my lungs certainly knew about it by the time I had finished and for some time after that but on a positive note I finished with absolutely no injury problems and I would of thought my legs would of felt stiff as chuff afterwards but to be honest they actually feel quite good.
 Time now to get stuck in to stage 2 of my training plan with the aim of getting my 10k time down into the low 33 minute area. I'm looking forward to 2012 to see how close I can get to running a sub 32 minute 10k and putting 2011's running world well and truly behind me.
 

1 comment:

Paintedrunner said...

Good to see you racing again today Gary. well done. Good time for that course.