Sunday 15 May 2016

Ripon 10 mile race.

  I just can't get enough of this race,  six times winner and course record holder but its more than that.  It's a tough old route and multi-terrain  and the setting has got to be one of the best in the country.
  I decided to do something today that I have never done before and that was to back off slightly from full race mode and just enjoy the race.  The plan was to back off on the uphill sections and then if all was ok think about going full throttle for the last four miles.
  The start went well as I reigned in my familiar fast start routine and as we headed through the fields to get to the tarmac I was actually feeling very comfortable indeed even though I appeared to be going quite quick. We started the first uphill section and I backed off as planned then Mark Hall running for Otley AC and a V50 came past me, I stuck to my plan and as we hit a short downhill section I closed the gap back up and thought that would do me nicely for another nine miles. We then went cross country and Hall opened up a small gap on me fair and square no hill stuff, the track arced round a bend so I did what everyone else had done at the start of the race and just kept as straight line heading for the next point ahead which in turn meant I was back in contact with Hall once again. Three miles done and feeling good, another hill and yet again Hall pulled away but this time as I crested the top of the hill I didn't close any ground on him and in fact he was pulling away from me. The four mile point to the five mile point is a long straight uphill slog and unlike past years where I have hammered up there I was within my limits and the enjoyment gauge was as high as possible. Over the next mile or two I could see Hall working his magic up ahead overhauling a few runners that were in front of us by some distance earlier on in the race.  I reached the seven mile point and for me it was time to go full throttle,  the runner ahead took some bleeding catching and the one after that took me until the final mile to reel in. I probably covered the last mile quicker than any other and could of gone much further which was a pleasant surprise. So sixth place it was for me in 1 hour 3 minutes 31 seconds and first V40. Old rival and friend Andy Chadfield Billingham Marsh House won the race in 59 minutes 13 seconds. Mark Hall finished 5th and 1 minute 2 seconds ahead of myself. A very impressive V50 indeed. So the question is could I have gone any faster ? And the answer to that is no.  So to sumerise it was another great day of racing with perfect weather conditions to boot, what more could a runner ask for. OH ! Thats right, the team prize as well. With Steph Tomaszewski and Ken Wood.
   After checking the results compared to my results over the last month as in runner versus runner  everything is looking promising indeed. Just what I needed even more moral boosting enthusiasm.

No comments: