Friday 6 May 2016

Harrogate League.

 It was race time again this week with an Harrogate Evening League Race at Ilkley and the weather was absolutely perfect. It has been 11 years since I last raced here and I remember the long hill,  the undulating section across the top of the hill, a long descent and finally a good long flat stretch to finish the race off. My plan was simple, take it steady up the long hill, then pick up a good pace across the top, full attack mode down hill and then give it everything to the finish. As usual it was good to catch up with some old rivals / friends from past year's before the start of the race. I haven't been to my own clubs training night for some years now so I know more people from other clubs, I will definitely put some effort in to get to know more of my team mates.
   The race got under way and I was quite near the front but managing to control my pace for once and then the hill ascent started, I began to slip back through the field and then my plan fell to pieces. Trying to prevent more runners coming past I went well into the red zone and that bleeding hill just carried on upwards. Just as I thought I was at the top we would turn then carry on climbing, I remember the hill being long but not this bleeding long. Young Fothergill a Thirsk team mate passed me before we reached the top and if it was possible I went deeper into the red to keep up with him. Ohhhh that hurts, a serious stitch. I passed Fothergill and should of gave him some encouragement but I was in serious pain and didn't even have an ounce of breath to speak even if I could of.  Then I found myself in a battle with Dave Hack from Richmond, if there's one thing I do not like and that is seeing a red and white vest of Richmond in front of me. No way was I going to let that red vest go up the road without an all out fight. I have nothing against Richmond runners its just that I see them as local rivals, like a local derby. I struggled with my stitch and to keep up with Hack, no excuse I had used up all my energy going up that climb. As we descended I tried attacking and breaking away many a time but didn't do enough damage. Funny thing was I could hear Alex Fawcett of Ripon runners not far behind with his extra loud breathing and that was egging me on. As we hit the flat and the long run home Hack pulled ahead of me and I was still giving it everything just to keep up, we took the final turn into the rugby ground and Hack easily opened up a gap on me to take 24th place and I ended up in a sprint finish with a fast finishing runner from behind  to take 25th.
  If it was five miles then I can't grumble too much with my 30 minutes 08 seconds over that tough course seeing as I was only a second slower than the flat course I ran at Hartlepool last month.
  My stitch that I had on the climb and all the way to the finish, in all honesty I don't think it actually slowed me down it was just blinking uncomfortable.
  25th place, that gives me plenty to work on in the next round that is for sure.
Jamil Parapia running for Otley won the race with ease in 26 minutes 16 seconds.
  In 2005 and new to running I managed to finish 4th in 26 minutes 24 seconds and the winner that day was Ian Fisher in 25 minutes 28 seconds.

No comments: