Sunday 1 May 2016

The fight for sub 18

 At long last it appears that I have found the right formula once again in my training so that my race times start to come down. I took on the 5km parkrun at Ripon to see if my suspicions were correct in the fact that I had actually started to improve and also with the aim of trying to get under 18 minutes which would be a decent improvement by my reckoning in just two weeks. I set off too fast but the more I keep doing it then the more I get used to it and eventually I will be able to ease back to my correct pace without causing any damage. Even before reaching the first kilometre I knew I was responding better than I have ever done so far this year and so sub 18 was on.  Young Pease and Dalton both of  Ripon runners came past me which I expected and as the course heads uphill I could see Pease pull away from Dalton which meant it was everyman for himself. I was thinking Dalton had been finishing in around 17 minutes 48 seconds so I had to get as close to him as possible or even beat him.  As the race progressed I slowly closed the gap to Dalton but when it came to the last effort to the finish he easily out ran me to take second in 17 min 47 behind Pease the winner in 16 min 55. So third it was for me in 17 min 53, second would of been awesome but I will settle for getting well below the sub 18 mark.
   The long run Sunday has made its way back into my training after being absent for along time so I did an hilly sixteen miler today which was a lot more enjoyable than any other Sunday training I have done so far this year.  My running mojo has improved over the last couple of weeks which makes for better training that is for sure. I have purchased some new race shoes so they will be awaiting their first mission and that could be very soon. I'm more concerned with not getting them dirty than any other issue I can think I might have with them. I have been using Adidas for quite some time now, I think its just a case of finding something that works for you and then sticking with it. But I have opted to try something different this time round as I feel I need a change and if there is any chance whatsoever of improving by a second or two then I'll have a go.
    The Tour de Yorkshire cycling event was a bit wet to say the least as it passed through Thirsk today on its third and final stage, I'm still an avid cycling fan and it was good to go and see the British lads in action but it was even better to get back home and get my tired feet up and watch it on the TV.
  My bank holiday ten miler tomorrow isn't looking good with the way my legs are feeling after today's long run, maybe the age related thing is right after all in that less is more. Recovery recovery recovery. This running lark might just be getting easier.

No comments: