Wednesday 20 July 2016

Summer Coast Road 5k.

   As evenings go the weather was totally fantastic for tonights 5k race at Redcar with sunshine and a very slight coastal breeze. The course is two laps and is just about totally flat so you would expect to see some fast times. Just in case I was in any doubt about it being a fast course in  2007 I ran my first ever 5k around the very same course in 15 minutes 21 seconds.
    I managed to get myself on the start line as I knew I was bound to get carried away with my fast start problem but just before the got under way another runner came and stood right in front of me not that it was a problem. The race started and straight away I was blocked in with nowhere to go, which left me no alternative but to barge my way through. After the race I regret my actions but during the race I just see it as collateral damage. The disappointing thing is I know that I should be using them to my advantage by staying behind them. So that I start
Summer Coast Road 5k - 20th July 2016
Photo thanks to David Aspin New Marske Harriers
at a more realistic pace that I can keep until the finish, that way we would all be happy. Forgetting the friendly stuff I forced my way in to second position behind a speedy looking Loftus lad and for the first kilometre I felt like I was working hard but definitely not too hard. The first kilometre 3 minutes 08 seconds and if  I could manage to keep at that pace plus a few seconds for another 4 kilometres then it was going to be an awesome result for me. Runners started to pass me which I managed to ignore whilst I stayed focused on my pain management. All seemed to be in hand that was until I looked up and saw the gap between myself and Paul Lowe NYMAC and Michael Joyeux Quakers Running club. If I was going to hit my  pre-race target of 16 minutes 30 seconds then I had serious problems going off the ever increasing gap. I had a rough idea of what time they should be running and how close I should be and it didn't look good. I was finding it hard but no harder than what was to be expected and finally I crossed the finishing line in 14th place in 16 minutes 51 seconds. Errrm ! 21 seconds have gone missing this time. It might not seem much but to me that has definitely thrown a spanner in the works. I have absolutely no idea other than the odd inconsistency performance that shows up now and again with age. I suppose I should be happy  that I ran a seasons best but you know what us runners are like.

No comments: