Sunday 24 July 2016

 After Wednesday's 5k race at Redcar I ended up with a totally different ending to the week than that of my training plan.

The Plan

Thursday - Rest  day
Friday - 3 miles
Saturday - 5k parkrun
Sunday - 16 miles

Total 22 miles

Actual

Thursday - 8 miles
Friday - 7 miles
Saturday - 11 miles
Sunday - 21 miles

Total 47 miles

    The long run this morning was 21 miles of undulating roads with hills galore and I must admit I was on my last legs at 15 miles never mind 21 miles. The next batch of races should feel quite easy now as none of them are anywhere near that distance.

     I have been testing out some compression socks to see it they help in anyway in the longer races and I'm convinced personally that I am better off without them, but I will use them for recovery purposes.

     The 5k parkrun at Ripon. I have come to the conclusion that the course is no more than five seconds at most slower than that of a totally flat so called fast course, that is for runners finishing under 18 minutes. All my calculations and evidence back this up, the idea that it is 20 seconds slower or more certainly doesn't add up. It sounds awesome on paper if I take my actual performance and then take 20 seconds allowance off. The quicker the time I can finish the more impressive the 20 seconds becomes.
 
   After my 5k race at Redcar I thought I had better have another look at my target time for the up and coming Darlington 10k. And I think I had better stick to my original plan of aiming for 34 minutes 30 seconds and that would take some doing as well. The notion that I had  of sub 34 minutes doesn't appear to be very realistic at this moment in time.

No comments: