Wednesday 27 July 2016

The nineties.

    I continued with the theme of " getting the miles in " after   last Wednesdays evening 5k race at Redcar and managed ninety two miles in total for the week. I'm just glad I have a rest day tomorrow which will be the start of me taking it easy until Sunday so that I'm ready for the James Herriot Trail Race.  The race Starts at Castle Bolton near Leyburn in North Yorkshire then loops round in an anti clockwise direction for nine miles taking in the glorious Wensleydale countryside. The last time I did this race was back in 2010 which was one hell of a battle as there was three previous winners fighting for the glory that day. I managed to open up a slight lead by the top of the first big hill with Shaun Whelan of London Front Runners hot on my heels, I then kept that slender margin for the rest of the race to take the victory by a mere eight seconds. Since then I have either not been running or I have been concentrating on races 10k or shorter but I'm chuffed to bits to be going back and so is the dog. The dog is now thirteen years old not that you would think so looking at her, all those years running must of done her good. Anyway I have got it in my head now that I'm more than capable of doing races upto the half marathon in distance, the idea of a marathon isn't quite there yet but it's getting there. I'm sure if I enter a marathon now for 2017  I wouldn't end up regretting it and having something big to train towards would be good. Back to the up and coming trail race and I will be targeting a place in the top ten or a sub one hour finishing time, either would be awesome at this stage of my come back journey.
   I could of sworn that I had entered the Darlinton 10k race which is a week on Sunday. I must of got carried away with entering other races that I came across and then forgot all about the race I had initially meant to enter. Thankfully I was still in time to enter and lucky it wasn't full. Another lesson learnt, though it's not as bad as when I got the start time wrong. Now there's a story for another time.


No comments: