Sunday 10 August 2014

Darlington 10k.

After a bit of a roller coaster time with my training over the last few weeks I was looking forward to getting back racing and to test myself against an old rival otherwise known as Jim Bulman at the Darlington 10k. Jim is trying his damned hardest to break into the 31 minute territory for 10k so realistically I would probably not beat him and even more so seeing as my target is a minute slower than his.
   Would Hurricane Bertha arrive before the start of the race that was the question. I wasn't too bothered myself as I'm not chasing any personal best times so it was a case of having a good crack at breaking thirty three minutes or have a tough hard race in wet windy conditions. It's not often I go to Darlington these days but I did work there for three years after I left the armed forces, they had some right characters there but by God they knew what work was that was for sure.  Anyway the weather held off and to be honest it was absolutely perfect for running fast times .
   I entered the starting pen a bit early probably ten minutes too early for my liking, with barriers either side and other runners behind and chip timing mats in front I was trapped. I like to keep ticking over right up until start time not that it matters I just like to keep myself from thinking too much just before a race in case any negative thoughts try to get in on the act.
   The race started and I cruised into a good position not far from race favourite Wondiye Indelbu and I was well within my comfort zone so all was well. I couldn't see Jim Bulman but I could sense and knew he was right there,  Indelbu had already started to open up a gap and I was in  a group of three which included myself, Tom Bean and Jim Bulman. Bean set the early pace and as I tried to come through to take up the pace making Bean seemed intent on speeding up slightly and blocking my way.  I take it he was not giving up that second place where I was thinking let's work together for a while, so eventually I made my way through going down hill to set the pace. Bean was puffing like a train and Bulman was breathing heavily but well within himself were I felt quite at ease. As we turned and headed uphill Bulman took to the front and nailed that hill, Bean hung on and I just about hung on. Don't ask me how they were breathing after that hill as I couldn't hear their footsteps never mind their breathing with the way I was huffing and puffing. 3km in 9 minutes 36 seconds. I knew I couldn't keep going at this sub 32 minute pace and as I managed to compose myself another slight incline appeared and this time  I cracked and found myself in no man's land. Bean just ahead of me also found himself in no man's land as Bulman pressed on with his good work done and way up the road by now was Indelbu. It was a two lap race and as pressed on at my own pace and rhythm to complete lap one I made my mind up that I would catch Bean on lap two. Every time I surged to close the gap he must of been doing the same to catch Bulman as no sooner had I closed the gap by a few metres it went straight back to where it was. By the time I had made it to 7km the cheering supporters clapping hands began to echo which could only mean a runner behind was hot on my heels and by 8km or there about I was caught. Forget Bean I was now in a battle for 4th place with my new enemy Kevin Jeffress from Sunderland and just before 9km I lost contact as he pulled away slightly. I checked my watch at 9km which indicated 29 minutes 43 seconds, that gave me 3 minutes and 16 seconds for the last kilometre if I was going to crack 33 minutes. I cranked up my effort to take me deep into the red zone and at the same time I was being chased down by Kate Avery of Shildon. I wasn't going to give up 5th place and I don't want to sound sexist but I certainly didn't want to be beaten by a lady and with just over 200 metres off I went and pulled well clear to take 5th place in exactly 33 minutes.  One blinking second off going sub 33 minutes. Happy with that for now to be honest. Indelbu won the race in 30 minutes 46 seconds. Bulman was second 26 seconds ahead of me, Bean third 9 seconds ahead, Jeffress fourth 4 seconds ahead. First lady Kate Avery 33 minutes 05 seconds and course record.
   I turned up at for the presentation 5 minutes early and there was nobody about, I tried the Dolphin Leisure Centre ? Nowt happening there so I guessed they must of cancelled the presentation.

 
 
 

No comments: