Sunday 24 August 2014

Just not good enough.

   I went for a gentle five mile jog on Friday and I must admit that it was like rewinding the clock back nine months as it felt like that first run I did when I decided to get up and running again. I followed it up with another short run Saturday at a very leisurely pace and that felt much better and then today I added a touch of speed work seeing as I will be racing next Sunday. I have no target time so I will just run it as hard as possible and see what happens. I wouldn't expect to be slower than thirty five minutes which is around a two minute loss compared to where I was before my annual break, anything quicker will be a big bonus. It usually takes around three to four weeks before I get back to somewhere near where I was and then another four to eight weeks to start attacking the times I was doing beforehand.
   One of my up and coming big targets is trying to break my 3000m indoor track personal best time of 9 mins 13 secs at Sheffield in November which I think will be very achievable and also it will keep me highly motivated whilst training towards my attempt. The week after that I will be trying to crack 33 minutes for 10k on the road and in all honesty I wouldn't be happy unless I broke into the 31 minute area. I know I should be happy with running a 32 minute 10k but deep down I feel it's just not good enough. Not high expectations just a case of living in the past I think. Maybe I should re-read my sports Mind Management book.
    I haven't plucked up the courage yet to get on the scales to see what damage my holiday has caused on the weight side of things. I wasn't as greedy this year as I have been in the past food wise but  it's a pity I can't say the same thing about the drink. Having a sweet tooth takes some controling and so does my blinking alchoic tooth.

No comments: