Thursday 25 August 2016

Sessay Swiftish 6k.

   So much for taking a step back from racing and concentrating on training. Due to the Sessay Swift 6k being a club championship race I had to put my plans on hold for the time being and take the race as it comes. I know I'm on a bit of a slow down phase at the moment which is of no real concern and with having a week off over eating and drinking I guessed that I would be happy with a finishing time of 21 minutes 30 seconds for the unusual race distance.
   The event was at Sessay and based at the cricket ground which was excellent for parking and also for warming up before the race.  It had been red hot through out the daytime and thankfully by the time of the race in the evening a few clouds had appeared which made for a glorious summer evening.
  The race started and I found myself leading the way, I was well within my comfort zone and by the time I was approaching  the first kilometre marker I was starting to think maybe the week off and greediness was
Thirsk and Sowerby Harriers - Sessay Swift 6k. 
working in my favour. That thought soon dispersed as Johnson of Harrogate AC and Pease of Ripon came sailing past me which was exactly what I was expecting. Not much further on Dalton of Ripon Runners came past which in truth I wasn't expecting, but good on him though as he appears to be improving. By the time I had got to the two kilometre point my body was complaining, " you muppet we don't do any of this running stuff anymore, we do putting feet up and dossing. " Somewhere near the half way point I was convinced it was a ten mile race I was in and not a swift 6k, Oh no there goes another runner past me  a York runner followed by Middleton of Richmond Zetland Harriers. It wasn't long before I made my way to the back of our recently formed trio and then ooops off the back I went loosing contact. In race mode I was really gutted about that and also by the sheer lack of will power to stay with them. Time wise I was going better than I had expected and was ahead of my target time so all was not lost. Forgetting the two ahead of me I switched to trying to get under 21 minutes. Five kilometres in 17 minutes 20 seconds or there abouts, aha,   fitness level not as bad as I had first thought. With just a kilometre to go I couldn't really fail to finish in under 21 minutes  and that is exactly what happened. 20 minutes 53 seconds and 6th place. A blinking good hard race if I say so myself.  Johnson won the race, Pease 2nd and Dalton 3rd. I haven't seen any results yet which is probably a good thing as I might get demoralised when I see how far behind I was.
   I might not of been too keen to be racing at this present time but I was chuffed to bits that I went in the end as it  was good to catch up with some old running friends that I haven't seen for a long while.
  I didn't manage to qualify for a prize which was quite funny, being a chocholic and cake munching machine that is in the process of giving up, the prize was in fact a box of chocolates. If the race free time can wait so can the chocolate free time.
  Prize wise it reminded me of the fell races, after turning to sport to get away from alcohol I found it funny to be winning bottles of spirits. Time to give up cash on that basis me thinks.
   Finally, it was another awesome race organised by Thirsk and Sowerby Harriers. A great job by Marian Codling and the other members that helped out.

No comments: