Sunday 26 July 2009

Shoe'd of Dunn Better.

The race for this weekend was the James Herriot Trail Race over 14km of Swaledale countryside. I was hoping for some sunshine but I was out of luck on that wish but at least the rain held off whilst I was running.
The Race - From the starters gun I set a brisk pace down the track and through the village at Castle Bolton, on turning left to start the big climb over the moorland I eased off the effort slightly so when I manage to reach the top of the steep section I can switch to full speed instantly. This time half way up the climb I crossed a swamp/bog section and my left shoe got sucked right off my foot, everything went into slow motion as I turned round and saw my shoe stuck in the bog. A split second thought of continuing without one shoe was quickly dismissed and I back tracked pulled my shoe out and then in a panic went for the ram it straight back on method. Luckily I tied my shoes really tight to prevent anything like a shoe coming off over muddy sections so when I tried to get my foot back in it felt I was trying to push my foot into a shoe that was about three times too small. I was forcing the shoe on with one hand and trying to undo the laces with the other hand in total frustration then my foot popped in. A quick reshaping of the heal section I had just squashed out of shape and I was off. How long had this taken ? Twenty seconds I would guess. I then set off in pursuit of the two runners that had managed to pass me, my plan of taking it easy up the climb was now out of the window, I managed to catch Trevor Wilks from Leeds City with the London runner slightly ahead. Having used up a lot of energy catching Wilks I opted to stay with him until I got to the top of the climb. My luck was totally out as Wilks then started to speed up, I kept with him and then passed him but not for long as he came back past again. On reaching the summit of the steep incline before turning left I jumped across to the London runner, now all I had to do was cruise along whilst I got my breath back. After about half a mile my breath wasn't coming back and I cracked. Slowly the London runner pulled away as I slowed down to try and regain my strength. On reaching the final big climb just after half distance I felt I was back to full power and surged up the climb without any difficulty, I attacked in the pursuit of the London runner ahead as I thought I should be able to real him in but credit due he managed to extend his lead by the finishing line. My time was 54 mins 32 seconds which is about 1 minute slower than last year so probably not to bad considering the loss of time through shoe loss and over doing the first climb. The winners time was 53 mins. So even without any problems I don't think I could of beaten him, but it would of been very close.
That's it now thankfully with racing for 5 or 6 weeks. After racing every weekend for the last 6 weeks I can now rest in peace.
With a Party to go to next weekend and my holiday mid August a few well deserved beers will be enjoyed. My annual bike ride with the cycle club I used to race for will hopefully be this Thursday weather permitting. I did catch up with a couple of Hambleton riders the other day on my way to work and after sitting behind them for a few seconds I decided to see what they were made of and went past them. The spineless sods weren't up for a race as one of them I had thrashed a few months ago on my way to work. It's ok for them in all there fancy cycling gear but I'm in my work clothes and carrying my backpack and riding a worn out cyclocross bike. Probably they were just out for a leisurely ride and had no interest in racing, I tell you there's some strange folk out there.

3 comments:

Runningbear said...

Frustrating result I bet - have you thought of investing in those funny elastic laces? Hope the well deserved rest has the desired effect. RB.

The Engineer said...

I think I will look a bit odd with elastic laces tied on my shoes and the other end tied around my ankles. Just imagine if you didn't stop running when your shoe came off in a peat bog and you just carried on running, you can hear the elastic lace creaking under extreme stress and as you force your way onwards for another 30 metres or so you just about hear a swooshing noise as you are knocked out by your fell shoe that has managed to accelerate upto 100 mph and hit you on the back of your head.
Only Joking. Believe me them fell shoes were on extra tight and the laces were double tied and all loose ends locked to prevent laces from coming undone when running in heather and such like. Just unlucky I suppose. I will tread more carefully though next time in boggy conditions instead of meashing through at full power.

Runningbear said...

very good mental image captured Gary - I definitely will not be investing in anything elasticated. It could be v painful. Sometimes you can do your best and tie 'em tight as tight can be. The bog sucking power was clearly just too great for your expertly tied knots this time.