Friday 22 April 2011

Run Dunn

 Fully hydrated and fueled up off I set on my planned route of 22 miles which is seriously hilly and by the time I had run the first eight miles I realised very little thought had been wasted on my injured ankle and my thoughts were more concerned with wondering how my leg muscles would cope with the task ahead. I have not managed to do this route for well over 5 months and even when in good shape it takes some doing so when I reached one of my first checkpoints a couple of minutes quicker than my worst ever it felt strangely quite good. Onwards I went and by the time I reached my next checkpoint at two thirds distance my legs had started to stiffen up and my liquid fuel supply was empty but with a water tap 5 miles ahead I had a new short term goal to focus on. 5 miles might not seem far but with no drink and knackered legs it suddenly starts to feel as it's almost impossible. Luckily by the time I reached the water tap I didn't have to slow down much as I was already just about coming to a standstill, having taken on plenty of fluids it was time for the last 4 miles home. I just about needed a bump start to getting my legs back into running mode but once going it was just a case of keeping it going. My best time round this course is 2 hrs 34 minutes so my 2 hrs 59 minutes today leaves me with plenty of work to do, I wore my GPS watch for the first time round this course and the hilly 22 is now a tough 23 miler, I just hope the extra mile wasn't due to me weaving all over the road in the last few miles.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Least you got to the end of it! I did a hill race on Fri and I don't really train on hills because there aren't any hilly routes near me so my legs are absolutely shot, 1 mile in they had had enough!